Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me... Let me be singing when the evening comes!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Jesus Calling

While visiting for my sister's high school graduation, my grandparents recommended a daily devotional book by Sarah Young titled "Jesus Calling." They loaned us their copy and I have been so encouraged and challenged by the Biblical truths declared in each daily paragraph. Today's (June 11th) came from Isaiah 12:2 and Romans 8:6:

Trust Me and don't be afraid, for I am your 
Strength and Song. Do not let fear dissipate your 
energy. Instead, invest your energy in trusting Me and 
singing My Song. The battle for control of your mind 
is fierce, and years of worry have made you vulnerable 
to the enemy. Therefore, you need to be vigilant in
guarding your thoughts. Do not despise this weakness
in yourself since I am using it to draw you closer to Me.
Your constant need for Me creates an intimacy that is 
well worth the effort. You are not alone in this struggle 
for your mind. My Spirit living within you is ever ready 
to help in this striving. Ask Him to control your mind;
He will bless you with Life and Peace.

Our church is in the midst of 52 days of combined, purposeful prayer for our church, homes, community, etc. This devotional reading goes along so well with what I have felt led to pray for myself, my immediate family, and my church family; that Christ would control what we think, say, and do. What does a life controlled by Christ look like? What would YOURS look like if you "invested your energy in trusting Him and singing His Song?"

I love the words to this old hymn written by Kate B. Wilkinson sometime before 1913:

May the mind of Christ, my Savior,
Live in me from day to day,
By His love and power controlling
All I do and say.

May the Word of God dwell richly
In my heart from hour to hour,
So that all may see I triumph
Only through His power.

May the peace of God my Father
Rule my life in everything,
That I may be calm to comfort
Sick and sorrowing.

May the love of Jesus fill me
As the waters fill the sea;
Him exalting, self abasing,
This is victory.

May I run the race before me,
Strong and brave to face the foe,
Looking only unto Jesus
As I onward go.

May His beauty rest upon me,
As I seek the lost to win,
And may they forget the channel,
Seeing only Him.




4 comments:

  1. Hi, Michelle, I'm excited to be following your blog. My sister-in-law recently gave me "Jesus Calling". I like it most of the time. Today really spoke to me also. Would you please pray for our church, "Pleasant Hill Baptist", as you pray for yours? We stepped in after a situation with the former pastor and there are a lot of hurting people. Thanks. Love to you and your sweet family!
    The blog looks awesome! I'm proud of you! ON YA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will be praying! We know what it's like to go from a hurtful situation to a welcoming place where God is MOVING! The wonderful thing is that we server the SAME God. I sincerely hope you all will soon be enjoying sweet times of healing and fellowship! Back ON YA!! ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow Michelle,
    Just what I needed today. I actually read a verse to that song in a devotional this morning. :) Guess God knew I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one time I had that hymn printed out and hanging by my bed so I could read it in the morning. I switched rooms with my sister and in the move never put it back up (I need to hang it up again). It's often been a good reminder/conviction tool for me. I'm glad you were encourage by it as well!! Blessings on you and your family!

      Delete